Monday, June 28, 2010

Hot Weather Tips for Pets

During the past few weeks we have had many days of 90+ degree weather and that requires extra care for our four legged friends. For my own dogs, I only walk them early in the morning or later in the evening when temperatures are a little cooler.

However I provide pet sitting services to pets who need breaks during the day and I don't always have the luxury of waiting until the weather cools so I take precautions to keep dogs safe during breaks during the day. During heat spells I make every effort to walk dogs in shaded areas and we walk on grass instead of the hot asphalt to protect their feet. We walk at a slower pace, shorten the walks to prevent over heating and encourage the dogs to drink plenty of water before, during and after their time outdoors.

It's important to monitor pets, especially some breeds with flat faces and short snouts who are more susceptible to heat stroke. Finally, I do not leave my dogs in the car for any period of time because the temperature in the care can raise to serious, deadly levels in a short amount of time, sometimes resulting in death.

With these precautions pets will be safe when temperatures are dangerously high.

No comments:

Post a Comment